libsdl.org says that SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) is a "cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer." It has been used as the basis for many published games, most notably the many titles produced by the (now defunct) Loki Games.
It is important to note that SDL is licensed under the LGPL, which does place some restrictions on its use. You are permitted to use SDL for commercial applications, but you must either dynamically link to the SDL libraries, or make available your program's compiled object files, thereby allowing users to re-link with newer versions of the SDL library.
|sound effects and music||X|
- MacOS (Classic and OS X)
- UNIX (including BSD/OS, Darwin, FreeBSD, Irix, OpenBSD, Solaris, QNX)
- Some support for AIX, AmigaOS, MorphOS, Atari, Dreamcast, NetBSD, OSF/Tru64, Playstation Portable, RISC OS, SymbianOS, Windows CE
Tutorials and Source
On the Wiki
See also SDL_mixer
- Displaying a Bitmap
- Displaying a Bitmap from a Custom Resource File using SDL_RWops
- Displaying a Bitmap from a zip file using SDL_RWops and zlib
- 2D Graphics
- Using SDL with OpenGL
- Using cairo and glitz with SDL
See also SDL_image.
Creating a Complete 2D Engine
- Engine development overview
- Designing the System Core
- Designing the Graphics Core
- Designing the Input Core
- Designing the Sound Core
The source code files listed below do not have accompanying tutorials.
- BlockBreak - Breakout clone. Linux binaries only.
- Paddles - Pong clone. Linux binaries only.
- Sokoban clone
- Throw the Bouncing Penguin Demo - By Ricardo Cruz
- Aaron's Game Programming Tutorials
- An article on using Hardware Surfaces with SDL
- Cone3D SDL Tutorials
- DevHub - SDL Tutorials
- Mars, Land of No Mercy - SDL Samples
- Roger's SDL Tutorials
- SDL_mixer Documentation
- Official SDL Website
- SDL Documentation Project
- Using SDL & OpenGL together by DavW
- jnrdev - 2d Jump and Run Tutorials using SDL
- Sol Tutorials
- Lazy Foo's SDL Tutorials: Beginning Game Programming
- Setting up SDL with MinGW and Eclipse
- Matthew Casperson's SDL Programming Tutorial
- Game Programming Tutorials: SDL Tutorial Series
Extensions to SDL
- Widget Sets