Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
- (KDE platform)
Crossplatform Build Systems
(All Free and Open Source)
- Apache Ant
- (implemented in Java but useful for other languages too)
- (implemented in python)
- GNU Make
- Apache Maven (useable for all java based projects)
- the GNU build system, also known as autotools.
Game Authoring Tools
- DreamPath Composer
- Advanced text adventures.
- Adventure Game Studio
- Point-and-Click Adventures.
- Designed to lure students into exploring programming. The download includes sample games such as a 100-line Space Invaders implementation.
- KAGE: Alternative Game Engine
- A free and opensource toolkit to help ease out the 2D game development for GNU/Linux and Windows.
- Mark Damon Hughes Game Design
- Has Hephaestus, Delver and other RPG construction kits (Java).
- Scratch is a visual programming language. For teaching children create games, music and demos. It has forum for code exchange.
- RPG Engine that can be used for any 2D type game; also see SphereDev.org for Sphere community information.
- The Scrolling Game Development Kit V1/V2
- Next version of the scrolling arcade game system.
- Verge RPG Engine
- A game engine designed to help people make RPGs, but it can actually make most any game in a Genesis/ Super Nintendo style.
- Wintermute Engine Development Kit
- Point-and-click Adventures.
- Create 64kb games and demos for Windows, Linux and Mac.
- 2D RPG/Scroller engine for Win/OSX/Linux (free, zlib license).
- Click team
- Multimedia Fusion and Games Factory.
- SCream Engine - Simple Creation Engine for Adventure Makers - forum link only, no official
- Play My Code - Browser based programming IDE, for writing browser games, which are then hosted for free.
- Ethanon Engine - 2D game development engine focused on the recent video cards for hardware acceleration and shader effects.
- RPG Toolkit - 2D Game developement engine, based around creating RPG's. Using it's built in object-oriented scripting language, any type of game can be made.
Libraries / APIs
- BitRock InstallBuilder is a commercial product that creates installers for Linux, Windows and Solaris. Open Source developers can get a free license upon request (for use with Open Source software).
- InstallShield is a Java-based commercial installer product which will work on Windows, Linux and MacOS X.
- Open Source GUI installer for Windows and Linux, Mac support coming soon.
- Creates distro-neutral binary packages.
- Illwinter Game Installer
- A multithreaded installer creator.
- Loki Setup tools @ icculus.org
- Updated version of Loki Setup.
- MojoSetup @ icculus.org
- Icculus' (Ryan Gordon) revamp of Loki Setup from scratch.
- A commercial installation tool for MacOS X.
- Astrum Install Wizard
- A simple easy to use point and click installer with features similar to installshield.
- Inno Setup
- Free, powerful installer with many features that can be utilized using the installers scripting language.
- Nullsoft Scriptable Install System
- A very flexible, open source Windows installation tool. It has a very small overhead.
- Wise Solutions offers advanced application management and installation solutions with a full range of capabilities and features for system administrators and professional software developers.
- An open source toolchain for creating Windows Installer packages. XML based.
- Easy to use with lots of features. Has a drag n drop scripting language. Runs WindowsInstaller as backend.
Software Protection Systems / Anti-cracking
Syntax Translation Tools
- Free Code Translation for .NET (C#<->VB.NET).
- Convert C# to VB.NET/VB.NET to C# based on #develop's editor.
- Kamal Patel's
- Convert C# to VB .NET with offline edition.